The term “functional medicine” is a catch-all phrase for a range of medical practices that use diet, lifestyle changes, and natural remedies to address the root causes of chronic disease. So what does this mean exactly? Well, it’s not a magic potion, or a solution to never aging. However, it does come with its own world of benefits.
In this blog post, we’re going to talk about functional medicine. We’ll answer key questions like what is functional medicine? What are the benefits of functional medicine? And dive into exactly how it all works.
Are you as excited as we are? Let’s get started!
What is Functional Medicine?
Functional medicine is based on the idea that the root cause of disease is often nutritional deficiencies, toxicity, or some sort of disruption in normal biological function. Functional medicine doctors assume this dysfunction can be addressed by looking at how your body works as a whole – rather than focusing on one specific problem area.
Functional medicine doctors also believe that the human body is an interconnected web. Say, for example, you experience problems in your digestive tract; this can often be a symptom of a more profound imbalance elsewhere. These doctors look at how these imbalances affect your entire body, then, they find a solution.
Pretty smart, right?
Functional Medicine Benefits
Although many assume so, functional medicine is not witchcraft, nor is it some kind of miracle. Instead, it’s a proactive approach to health that addresses the underlying causes of disease – rather than just treating symptoms.
Functional medicine gets at the root cause. Doctors don’t just prescribe any ol’ medication with a range of side effects to fix one issue. Functional medicine can address chronic diseases in ways other medical practices may not be able to do on their own. Doctors look for long-term solutions to your health concerns – not just a quick fix.
All in all, the benefits are vast. But for now, let’s take a look at just a few of them:
- Functional medicine treats the whole body, not just one part.
- Functional medicine doctors establish a personal relationship with you, and will work with you to create personalized treatment plans. To them, you’re not just another patient.
- Functional medicine practices utilize cutting-edge technology like diagnostics lab testing so that they can detect problems early on – before symptoms appear. This means that functional practitioners can treat conditions long before they become chronic.
- Functional medicine is a proactive approach to health that helps you develop the tools you need for long-term wellness – making it easier than ever to manage your weight, energy levels, and everything that you need to live your best life!
How Does Functional Medicine Work?
If this sounds like something you’re considering, don’t worry! It isn’t as complicated as many have made it seem. To put your mind at ease, we’re going to walk you through the entire process:
- First, your functional medicine practitioner will perform a thorough analysis of your medical history and current lifestyle to find the source of any health problems or chronic disease you might have. Functional practitioners use state-of-the-art diagnostics tests and lab work to get a complete picture of your current health. These doctors want to understand how the body functions as a whole – so they use these tests and measurements to identify any imbalances in crucial areas.
- Once a practitioner has pinpointed the source of your symptoms, they will develop some personalized treatment plans that help you improve the function of your body’s most essential systems. Functional medicine practitioners can use one or many different methods to address these imbalances – including nutrition, exercise, and supplements like vitamins and minerals.
Functional medicine doctors are ready to help you improve your health and wellness in ways other medical practices may not be able to do on their own! The goal is not only to get you healthy, but it’s to keep you healthy for many years to come. And who knows? With it, you may even outlive the Queen of England!
We hope you enjoyed this brief, yet informative article on functional medicine. To learn how our membership model is changing healthcare for good, visit our website or contact us at 602.603.3118 to arrange a complimentary consultation with one of our in-house doctors today!
We’d love to hear from you.