If you’ve been trying to lose fat for awhile, rather as an athlete or just to be healthy, then you’ve probably heard of MIC. MIC injections are called lipotropic, meaning they burn fat. It’s grown popular in the athletic and celebrity community for it’s fast fat busting effects, when combined with the proper nutrition and exercise program. If you’ve never heard of it then you’re about to learn all about it.
MIC stands for the three ingredients it’s made up of: Methionine, Inositol, and Choline.
Methionine is an essential amino acid that acts as a lipotropic agent which: assists in the breakdown of fats within the liver; helps to lower cholesterol thereby preventing excess fat buildup in the liver and throughout your body’s circulatory system; is helpful in preventing and relieving fatigue; lowers triglycerides, and is useful in some cases of allergies by virtue of its ability to reduce histamine release.
Inositol is a lipotropic agent that helps your liver to remove fat from your body. It promotes the health of cell structures and nerve synapses; aids in the metabolism of fats; helps reduce blood cholesterol; and participates in the action of serotonin, a neurotransmitter known to control mood and appetite.
Choline is an essential nutrient that helps to support the liver in its processing and excretion of chemical waste products. Moreover, it is required for the transport and metabolism of fats and cholesterol, which is important for the healthy support of the endocrine, cardiovascular, and hepatic systems. Choline prevents fat and cholesterol from accumulating on one part of your body and uniformly distributes this fat to various regions in the body where it can be metabolized to produce energy.
MIC is typically combined with other vitamins to synergistically enhance its fat burning abilities. These include Vitamin B12, B-complex, and L-carnitine.
Vitamin B12 is a key ingredient in so many of our bodies processes. B12 plays a significant role in the replication of DNA, the normal functioning of the nervous system, and the formation of blood cells. The vitamin B-12 injection has been shown to provide these key benefits: boosts energy and overall metabolic rate; assists in the burning of stored body fat; detoxifies the body; increases red blood cell production; maintains a healthy liver; helps regulate sleep, mood, appetite and energy; works synergistically with other nutrients to improve health; and slows aging.
Carnitine works by shuttling fatty acids directly in the cells mitochondira to be used for energy. Ideal for those that have cut carbs and their body is now using fats for energy. Carnitine is an amino acid which is required for the transport and breakdown of body fat for the generation of metabolic energy. Studies show that oral L-Carnitine supplementation can decrease fat mass, preserve muscle during exercise, and reduce muscle fatigue.
- Biochem J. 1938 Jun;32(6):969-75. The action of cystine and methionine on liver fat deposition. Channon HJ1, Manifold MC, Platt AP.
- Biol Trace Elem Res. 2007 Winter;120(1-3):179-94. The influence of methionine, selenomethionine, and vitamin E on liver metabolic pathways and steatosis in high-cholesterol fed rabbits. Birkner E1, Zalejska-Fiolka J, Kasperczyk A, Kasperczyk S, Grucka-Mamczar E, Stawiarska-Pieta B, Birkner K.
- J Lab Clin Med. 1948 Sep;33(9):1123-32. The effect of choline, methionine, and low fat diet on the life expectancy of patients with cirrhosis of the liver. Wade L, Neudorff L, et al.
- Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 1998 Apr;22(2):352-8. Free methionine supplementation limits alcohol-induced liver damage in rats. Parlesak A1, Bode C, Bode JC.
- Biochimie. 2013 Oct;95(10):1811-27. Potential role and therapeutic interests of myo-inositol in metabolic diseases. Croze ML1, Soulage CO.
- Tex State J Med. 1954 Dec;50(12):814-8. Cholesterol metabolism; evaluation of polysorbate 80-choline-inositol complex (monichol) for the management of hypercholesteremia. Albert A, Albert M.
- J Am Med Assoc. 1953 Jun 20;152(8):682-6. Hypercholesteremia; effect on cholesterol metabolism of a polysorbate 80-choline-inositol complex (monichol). Sherber Da, Levites Mm.
- Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2013 Jul;33(5):659-71. The protective effect of myo-inositol on hippocamal cell loss and structural alterations in neurons and synapses triggered by kainic acid-induced status epilepticus. Kotaria N1, Kiladze M, Zhvania MG, Japaridze NJ, Bikashvili T, Solomonia RO, Bolkvadze T.
- Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006 May 30;103(22):8528-33. Postsynaptic inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate signaling maintains presynaptic function of parallel fiber-Purkinje cell synapses via BDNF. Furutani K1, Okubo Y, Kakizawa S, Iino M.
- Int J Vitam Nutr Res Suppl. 1989;30:205-12. Adequacy of vitamin supply under maximal sustained workloads: the Tour deFrance. Saris WH, Schrijver J, van Erp Baart MA, Brouns F.
- J Nutr. 2009 Sep;139(9):1744-50. Provision of a school snack is associated with vitamin B-12 status, linear growth, and morbidity in children from Bogota, Colombia. Arsenault JE1, Mora-Plazas M, Forero Y, López-Arana S, Marín C, Baylin A, Villamor E.
- J Nutr. 2002 Nov;132(11):3353-5. Increases in blood folate indices are similar in women of childbearing age supplemented with [6S]-5-methyltetrahydrofolate and folic acid. Venn BJ1, Green TJ, Moser R, McKenzie JE, Skeaff CM, Mann J.
- University of Maryland Medical Centre. 2002. https://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/carnitine-lcarnitine
- Stephens, F.B., Constantin-Teodosiu, D., and Greenhaff, P.L., New insights concerning the role of carnitine in the regulation of fule metabolism in skeletal muscle, J. Physio., 581(pt2), 431-444, 2007.
- Slonim, A.E., Borum, P.R., Tanaka, K., et al., Dietary dependent carnitine deficiency as a cause of nonketotic hypoglycemia in an infant, J. Prediatr., 551-556, 1981.
- Helms, R.A., Whitington, P.F., Mauer, E.C., et al., Enhanced lipid utilization in infants receiving oral L-carnitine during long term parenteral nutrition, J. Pediatr., 109, 984-988, 1986.