Chronic Pain Reduced Through Yoga and Meditation

by | Nov 27, 2020 | Yoga & Meditation, Pain Management | 0 comments

Chronic pain is serious medical condition that’s becoming more and more common, with an estimated 100 million people in the United States alone being affected. The recent opioid epidemic alludes to the dangers that can occur when pharmaceutical drugs are overly prescribed for conditions such as chronic pain. With pharmaceuticals having higher risks of side effects and addiction finding a more holistic and natural approach to chronic pain is ideal.

A study published in the September 2020 publication of the Journal of the American Osteopathic Association found significant improvements in patients’ perceptions of pain, mood, and functional capacity. The study had participants receive instruction in mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) and mindful hatha yoga over an 8-week period. A whopping 89% of the participants reported the program helped them find ways to cope with their pain. The remaining 11% of patients remained neutral.

People sitting on floor practicing yoga

It’s no surprise that those suffering with chronic pain also suffer from depression. It’s miserable to be in pain for long periods and many cannot afford healing options like stem cell therapy. So, finding affordable and simple solutions is paramount. The meditation and yoga led to a drop of 3.7 points on a Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-9), a standard measure of depression. This score is similar to what some patients experience from the use of an antidepressant.

This study saw participants receive MBSR instruction, an educational program that trains people to have an awareness of the self in the present moment and nonjudgmental matter. I’ve personally done MBSR and loved the program. You can find a free version at Palouse Mindfulness. Yoga has been a part of my life for almost 20 years now and I can’t stress enough how important and life changing it can be to find the right yoga teacher and program for you.

Woman doing yoga pose on floor

Talk to your Innate doctor if you’re interested in yoga and meditation training. Our members receive complimentary training advice!

Your guide in health,

Innate Healthcare

You Might Also Like

How Mscs Can Help Delay Aging In The Brain

How Mscs Can Help Delay Aging In The Brain

Brain health is one of our biggest concerns for the aging population. As we age, our cells slow down and stop working. When this happens, we start to see changes in how our body and brains function. We may experience slower movements and stiffness, drier skin, and...